Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finding a Place to Run

Have you ever found yourself tired of running the same old routes day after day, week after week? Or maybe you are on the road and find yourself in a city you don't know. You can take off on a follow your nose run, and sometimes those are very interesting as long as you don't get lost. Unfortunately, my sister will never let me forget the time I went running late in the afternoon in a park near her home in Garland, Texas. The route was partly on sidewalks, but also along some heavily wooded trails. When night fell, it didn't creep, it just got dark. I ended up lost, turned around and made dizzy by the experience. When I sheepishly walked through my sister's front door an hour past due she was on the phone filing a missing persons report. Yikes!

Thankfully, MapMyRun.com can now take the guess work out of finding a new place to run. An internet connection, seemingly everywhere these days, is all you need to find a match between where you are and how far you want to run. Check it out the next time you are on the road or are simply bored with the same daily route. Oh yeah! It beats the heck out of the treadmill at the hotel or a short indoor track at a health club.

You can also share your own routes with other runners via MapMyRun. I guess I ought to do that with a couple of runs I did last week while I was back in my home town of Victoria, Texas, but instead I'll just tell you about them. I grew up in Victoria, but was never really a runner during those years. However, I spent a lot of time walking and much of that walking was in Victoria's Riverside Park. This is a maze of pecan groves, picnic tables, public grills, baseball diamonds and river bottom. There's no spit and polish on this park. It would never hold since flooding on the Guadalupe River is practically an annual ritual. Nevertheless, Riverside Park offers some great running. I followed my nose and invented a nice 4.3 mile loop which could easily have been made into a 5 mile loop.

Riverside Park works fine as long as there is natural light. However, after dark I believe it might be a bit risky since lighting is not especially generous. That's why I took my one evening run on the track at Victoria Memorial High School. Things have changed since I was a student there. At that time it was the only high school in Victoria, it was known as Victoria High School (VHS), and we were the Stingarees. Now it's the Memorial High School Vipers. Another major change is the quality of the track. In my day at VHS, I'm not even sure they had a track. I seem to recall that the runners were bused over to one of the junior high schools, where there was a quarter mile track. Now, one finds at VHS a wonderful Tartan surface track. My feet thanked me that night for taking my 6 miles on the track and that was almost thanks enough to make me forget how much I dislike logging my miles on a track. I would much rather pound pavement, as we say, and next time I find myself in Victoria, needing a night time run, I will probably look up someone's running route on MapMyRun and run the streets. Either that, or do speed work on the track, and that's something I always hate to do. Yeah, yeah, I know if I ever expect to get faster I need to run wind sprints, but I would much rather jog for 10 miles than sprint for a quarter mile. Just me....

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.