Friday, October 30, 2009

Getting Creative

I'm not at all sure the title describes accurately what I mean to say, but a description of tonight's run will perhaps give you a better idea of how I like to mix up my running routes. Maybe this in turn will prompt you to think of some options which might freshen your own workouts.

My running routes are really pretty predictable. It all depends whether I want hills or not, or what distance I'm intending to run. My long runs, 15 miles and further, carry me through several distinct neighborhoods and across several geographic zones as well. San Antonio sits at the convergence of 4 or 5 geographic zones, such that any especially long distance run will challenge you with some level stretches, some hills, and carry you through several different vegetative zones. It's interesting that way, even though most of my long runs, and shorter training runs for that matter, are done at night.

I know some runners who will analyze things to death. They'll spend weeks, or even months, agonizing over a race route. I would much rather know the route first hand and that is why I usually take some time to run certain stretches of a course as part of my final training for a race, especially a marathon. This isn't always possible, of course, if you are coming from out of town. In this case, it's wise to drive the course if possible. This is something I learned from a marathoning friend years ago, before I ever imagined I would run marathons. Now I realize how helpful it is to take a look ahead of time.

That's why I hooked up with my running buddy Zenna tonight to run the first 6 miles of the Rock'n'Roll San Antonio Marathon route. I did this last year too, and was glad for it because I was able to identify one stretch of hilly terrain which on race day took many of the runners by surprise. I don't know that it made me run that part of the route any better because I knew the challenge in advance. On the other hand, it made me feel I was a bit more in control. Ditto with a training run last year which covered some of the late miles of the route, around the 18-22 mile stretch. Every runner knows that part of the race is tough, and I knew from previous experience that this was an incessant uphill grind. I found it helpful to run it on relatively fresh legs a few days before the race and I think this contributed to my modest success on race day.

Tonight's run was great. My legs felt fresh and somehow today's diet seemed to hit the jackpot. Zenna and I ran a smart pace, nothing smoking, but faster than either of us should go on race day, and we were smiling broadly at the end. The change of scenery helped and the cool front which blew in this afternoon certainly lifted our spirits. I used it also as a chance to visualize race day. Of course, there's no way to anticipate the energy of 30 thousand runners, nor the decibels of a band every mile, but all-in-all I now feel prepared for that first 10 kilometers of the race. Next week we'll likely run another stretch of the route, though there's only about 4 more miles of common race course that we can train on. Zenna is doing her first half marathon and I'm doing my 5th or 6th marathon. I lose track.

Speaking as I was of 30 thousand runners, I read today that there are only about 500 more half marathon slots. There were plenty of disappointed runners last year who dilly-dallied about registering and ended up not able to enroll in the half. If you're inclined towards procrastination but have been training, it's best to register immediately if you want to insure a place at the starting line, or rather in one of the starting corrals.

Happy running. I hope to see you at the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.