Monday, October 26, 2009

How Old is Too Old?

When you look in depth at the results reports of just about any race, "fun" runs, 5Ks, 10Ks, marathons, triathlons, etc., by far the largest age groups are the 20-24 and 25-29. Interesting as an aside is that the fastest runners are often to be found in the 30-34 or even older age group. One might glean from these numbers that running is a younger persons' activity; but don't tell that to the many accomplished runners I have been privileged to meet who are so-called masters (over 40), or older yet.

I came to running in a not very serious way while in my 30s, then fell off the fitness wagon in a big way until starting back up in my mid-50s. In terms of endurance, my now 61 year old self can beat the pants off what I was capable of at 35. As I have focused upon running the marathon distance, my times have improved as I have grown older. I'm sure there will eventually be a peak, after which my times will decline, but for now my goal for the upcoming Rock'n'Roll San Antonio Marathon is to beat my slightly sub-5 hour finish a year ago, a time which stands currently as my personal record (PR). I know these are not exactly times which allow me to brag, and I don't. However, I take great satisfaction from what I have accomplished. Anyone who sets out to and executes running a marathon rises above the many who don't. With this attitude, perhaps, I might be perceived as a braggart, though really I intend it more as a challenge to those who have never set their sights high in terms of fitness.

You don't have to be a runner. I consider myself lucky to be running at my age. My joints are holding up and my body has yet to protest loudly enough to make me quit. If that day comes I'll probably have to inflate the tires on my bicycle and have a go at that. But for now, I enjoy the simplicity of feet on pavement and I want to encourage you to give it a try. If that's not for you, find something that works, that you can grow to enjoy, and then get going on an aerobic fitness program.

How old is too old? You might get some idea by checking with your doctor before getting terribly ambitious at age 50 and beyond, though I didn't. Obviously, if you are overweight as so many Americans are, start not only with a run/walk program, but also examine your diet and adjust it in reasonable ways. Remember, you're starting a new life, not just a 2 week, 2 month or one race program. It saddens me when I watch someone turn the corner into a healthy regimen only to reverse it after that first 10K, half marathon or marathon. Come on, no sliding back!

A truth told me by an older, long time runner, was that I was going to do better since I had waited until my 50s to begin going at it in a serious way (if a 5 hour marathon is in fact serious). The reasoning is that you've sustained much less wear and tear on your skeleton, your feet, your joints, if you haven't been pounding your body through your 20s, 30s and 40s. I've been told I will probably be able to run well into my 70s, and that's my intention. I still remember the first half marathon I ever ran, seeing an 85 year old runner on the course. That's who I want to be a quarter century from now. Here's to the masters and the super masters (50 years plus) and all of us beyond. May we continue to run long and run strong. Come join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.