Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fair Weather Runners Anon


Hi. My name is James and I'm a fair weather runner.

How many of us are there? We claim to be runners, even addicted to running, yet when the weather turns into serious heat, or numbing cold, or the wind blows strong, we take the day off. A day then becomes two days, or even a week if in the middle of a Texas July heat wave. We lose our gumption and find ourselves drifting out of running shape, often at times critical to training for the next race. I'm guilty, and that's why I've joined Fair Weather Runners (FWR) Anon.

Summertime in Texas can ruin one's best intentions. Those who are not afflicted with FWR syndrome can get themselves up at 5:30 AM to go run while the temp has dropped to 82. I don't run early in the morning. Instead, I look at the 99s or 100s on the thermometers and say no, maybe tonight at midnight. In truth, that's when I do a lot of my hot weather running. If ever I cross paths with the "real" 5:30 AM runners, it's because I'm just finishing a long 15 or 18 miler and they are just starting.

As hard as it is to run in high heat, it's even tougher for me when the air begins to chill. I'm more likely to run with the mercury at 100 than at 40, especially if that's 40 with a wind blowing. I just don't seem to have it in my constitution to run in such brutal conditions (lots of snickers from the Yankee runners). Give me a nice Fall or Spring day, 50 degrees, and I'm in Heaven. Too bad, but Heaven only lasts a few weeks where I run. Here in South Texas we endure Summers which are 5 or 6 months long, then we get the bookend seasons of Spring and Autumn, maybe 2 months total. And finally the north winds begin to howl and its Winter for a couple of months. But wait, let me do the calculation: 6+2+2=10. Hmm...where did those other two months go? It's math like this that keeps me running at a 10:30 pace rather than 9:30. It's a disease, yes the dreaded FWR affliction.

That's why I finally joined FWR Anon the other day, and it's why I ventured out this afternoon while the temperature hovered between 32 and 34 (that's Fahrenheit, thank you). You know, it wasn't too bad. Of course, the wind had stopped blowing and the sun was trying to melt the overhead clouds. Seven miles I logged. Here's how. Layers. I don't own cold weather running gear, so I improvised. My ensemble started with cotton long johns under cotton sweat pants. This worked today because the humidity was very low. Up top I wore an underlayment of my favorite new garment, a snug fitting Under Armour short sleeve shirt engineered for warm weather. Over that I wore a medium weight long sleeved shirt made of a cotton/polyester blend manufactured into a "Dri-Balance" fiber. Finally, a third layer of a wool vest which I've owned since I used to live in Mexico. The proverbial cherry on top was a wool/acrylic blend stocking cap. As we hear about everything else, the Devil is in the details. I wore thin, tight-fitting gloves which were passed out at some cold weather race within the past year or two. I don't know what they are made of, but without them I don't think I would have managed the 7 miles.

I swear by so-called technical apparel. Years ago I would run in cotton, mistakenly believing a natural fiber was better than polyesters or acrylics. I no longer make that mistake and I would recommend to anyone serious about running, biking, swimming, whatever your sport, that you spend the extra money on a good "wicking" fabric. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself. So why am I running today in cotton long johns and cotton sweat pants? Because I've never invested in cold weather running gear and, of course, the fact I've just admitted: I'm a Fair Weather Runner. I'm out of the closet!

Will today's run at 34 degrees turn things for me? I want to say yes, but I know like any other "addiction" there will be relapses. I may fall off the wagon tomorrow. On the other hand, with the 3M Half Marathon two weeks away, I can't really afford to go missing on my favorite running routes. And now that I've got at least one layered ensemble that works I'm more likely to press on through the cold week ahead.

It's times like this that I recall talking to a Minnesota runner one January as we ran side-by-side at the Black Gap 50 in Big Bend. "What's it like to train in Texas in the Summer?" he asked. "Tough," I replied. "I never go out if it's hotter than 98." (Almost true. Last Summer I did one afternoon run when it was 102.) The Minnesotan responded: "My running buddies and I have a deal that minus 18 is our point of no-go." I was too stunned to even ask why it was -18 and not -20 or -15. Even today, as I go boldly into the less than fair weather of 32 degrees, I know that confronted with 20 or 25, or a North wind of 25 mph, I'll tumble quickly and without ceremony from the wagon of Fair Weather Runners Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.