Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How's Your Body-Mass Index?

I stepped on my scales the other day so that I might weigh my 4 dogs. Of course, this required first measuring my own weight, then picking up the dogs one by one in order to calculate their individual weights. Although I preach a pretty hot sermon of diet and fitness, the first clue that there might be some surprises in store was that the battery in the scales was exhausted. Hmmm...I guess it had been a while since I last weighed in. Actually, I already suspected a weight gain. At my last doctor's appointment I had tried to avert my eyes from the numbers on the office scale, yet I thought maybe I had seen 190. How could that be? I had wondered. All this mileage and I've cut back on the ice cream. Really!

I've aspired for the past several years to pare my weight down to 165. Friends have protested that I don't need to lose weight, at least not 25 pounds, but then I stumbled upon a picture of me in my late-teens, hiking in Big Bend. That's when I was working hard labor as a lineman's helper (a grunt) with Central Power and Light in Victoria, Texas. I know, I know! That was then and now is now. Metabolisms change. The body slows down. It happens. We gain weight. I don't pretend to know the details of all this, but my own experience that we tend to gain weight with age is supported by anecdotal evidence. Even worse is that once the weight is gained it is doubly hard to lose it.

I've resisted seriously counting calories, but the time may have arrived if I am to achieve weight loss goals. But first there is the critical step of determining exactly what my weight should be. I am doubting I will ever get down to the lithe 160 or 165 I weighed in that 40-something years old picture of myself hiking the Lost Mine Peak Trail. A 15 pound loss of weight might be enough. Does this sound familiar to you? Then the following might prove helpful to you.

I just read a short item in the current Consumer Reports that reminds me there are more ways of measuring healthy versus overweight versus obese than just the measure reported by our scales. One important measure is body-mass index (BMI). According to the article, to figure your BMI follow this calculation: weight (lbs.) divided by your height in inches squared, them multiplied by 703. Confused? Go here for an online calculator. The return on your calculation will tell you whether your weight is good, bad, or dangerous. The healthy range is 18.5 to 24.9. Higher than 25 is overweight. Beyond 30 is considered obese.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the link! looks like i'm right where i need to be and making the effort to stay there. ;)

    jessy

    ReplyDelete

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.