Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Final Countdown to the 15th

I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. It's a little like a kid waiting for his birthday party or Christmas, but after months of training and plotting and planning, race day is only 12 days away. The reason for today's spike of anticipation was the arrival in my email box of various confirmations, final instructions, etc. from the organizors of the Rock'n'Roll San Antonio Marathon. I'm assigned to corral 20, perhaps a slight improvement over last year though, frankly, I don't remember which group I started with in 2008.

The race isn't officially filled yet, though I can't imagine there being too many more half marathon slots. The overall cap is 30000 runners. I think in the end analysis last year, there were something like 26 thousand participants. I love running in such a huge field, but I know some other runners who complain about the logjams at aid stations and the inadvertant contact of runners who aren't experienced in some of the etiquite of running crowded races, primarily to give other runners their space and to not cut in front of your fellow participants at the water stations. To each his own in terms of running in a crowd or not, but I love the energy of such a mass of mostly fit athletes putting their feet to the pavement in a constant patter of delightful softshoe which would make even Fred Astaire take note. The starting line is a special place, made even more eventful by the anticipation of so many runners setting out on an extraordinary odyssey. I'm looking forward to the 15th with gleeful anticipation.

I have stated rather publicly on several occasions that my goal this year is 4 hours 45 minutes. I must have been a little less sure of myself last November when I entered this year's race. I notice in the confirmation notice which came in the email today that I stated my predicted 2009 finish as 4:55. Vamos a ver (we will see), as we used to say in Mexico. Mother Nature can be a cruel partner this time of year in South Central Texas, or she can be our greatest ally. It's still a little too far out for an accurate extended forecast, but I am sure I won't be the only one paying attention to Steve Browne (KSAT 12) or Jennifer Broome (News 4 WOAI) come next week. Let's cross our fingers for a cool, dry day for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.