Monday, November 9, 2009

Some Odd and Ends

Picked up some nutritional supplements today (more on those in a moment) from my favorite running store and the in-store conversation turned to the marathon. Is it any surprise, as we run up to the final days and counting? The marathon conversation then intersected with that great ice breaker topic of the weather, though of course runners don't normally need an ice breaker in order to chat as old friends. But in this case the weather is of some importance as it will impact to some degree the experience the anticipated 30 thousand runners will have Sunday morning. Bad conditions, heat and humidity mainly, might hijack the best planned race and the many goals of personal records which will be found on the course. So how is the weather shaping up? Carrol Voss said it succinctly: "I think y'all are going to have a warm and muggy day." As much as I hate to agree with such a prediction, I'm afraid at this moment I concur. The wild card in the draw is a rumored cool front due to arrive on Sunday. The cashier at the running store, a runner herself and an obvious optimist said, "Maybe there's a way the front can get here a day early." I wish. Currently, the extended forecast is for low 60s at the start, warming to 78 degrees. There's also a 20-30% chance of rain which, even if it doesn't actually rain, implies humidity.

Which segues nicely into the answer of what was in my shopping bag when I left the running store. I referred to nutritional supplements, and that is exactly what I purchased. There are any number of good brands of energy gels and electrolyte supplements. I have come to prefer Hammer because I believe in their nutritional principles and the science of the Hammer line of supplements. These are not juiced up with caffeine and simple sugar as is the case with many of the convenience store products which are almost constantly under scrutiny and investigation. Hammer makes a couple of products which you will find in my possession come race day - a very good electrolyte replacement capsule(Endurolytes) which will help prevent cramping and some of the lethargy which comes as we sweat out our body's own supply of sodium and potassium. At the risk of oversimplification, these serve the purpose of salt tablets which we used to take in hot and humid outdoor conditions. The other Hammer product I will use is called Heed and it is also at least partially addressing the electrolyte issue. It's used in much the same way athletes use Gatorade, though I believe Heed is a superior product. I will carry a bottle of Heed with me throughout the race, sipping at it between the water stations along the course.

If I have one bit of advice, for newbies and veterans both, it is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Even if we get a cool front the night before the race, you still need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And remember, once you know you are thirsty, it's too late. Dehydration has already begun. Plan to drink at every water station (I think they are spaced about every 1.5 to 2 miles). Depending on your pace, this will likely be enough. However, there are some hydration zealots who insist that we need to imbibe liquid every 15 minutes in order to keep up with the game. I'm not one who normally endorses zealotry except where it involves running and Spurs Basketball, but the water zealots are right and I intend to do my best to live by their 15 minute rule.

Let's all plan to have the time of our lives. Ideal conditions, or not, this is going to be a heckuva weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Antonio Runners Rule @ B2B 2010

San Antonio teams swept 4 of the top 5 places at this year's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay in Corpus. Two of those 4 SA teams were running for Fleet Feet San Antonio. Congratulations to those competitors: Fleet Feet Sports Mambas, Fleet Feet Juniors, Los Borrachos and GMTC.

Texas Independence Relay Results

The results are in for the 2010 running of the Texas Independence Relay, one of the coolest races to be found in Texas or elsewhere, for that matter. Congratulations to all the participants, to the numerous volunteers, and to race organizers Joy and Jay Hilscher.

Several San Antonio based teams ran the event. Kudos to Dr. Mitchell Finnie, a runner with Los Paisanos, the top finishing SA team. They covered the 203+ miles in 24 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. The team from the Mid-Texas Symphony, which I led, finished in 29 hours 42 minutes 48 seconds.

Need a Lift?

I just ran across this inspiring blog and highly recommend it. It lifts my spirit to see so many people applying their passion and commitment to running to such great causes.